Sunday, March 27, 2011

The tale of 8 dragons.....


When my 5 year old grandson Caleb, came up to me last week and asked, "Nana, can you make me a Gluten Free, Dairy Free, "How to Train Your Dragon" cake for my birthday party?" ..of course I said "sure buddy!" And I started thinking about what that cake would look like and what other fun things we could do to go along with that theme. So when my friend Amy posted a link  on Facebook to this free tutorial on Running With Scissors for these adorable dragon tails, I knew I wanted to make some for the party! They are super fast and super fun to sew! The pattern is easy to follow and takes less than 45 minutes from cutting to stuffing! I made mine out of fleece. It took 5/8 yd for the tails and 1/8 yd for the spikes. I made them in different lengths from 18" to 24" long depending on the age and height of the children attending the party. I also used their favorite colors to personalize them :) When my hubby came into my sewing room on Friday night and saw them all done, he wanted one for himself! So I quickly whipped up another one with a much slightly larger waistband for him.


Turns out the tails were a hit! The kids never took them off the entire time and were pretty excited to be able to take them home with them afterwards!



Even the hubby wore his the entire time. (I think he had the most fun of all :)

I turned around to find my oldest grandson Elijah (he's 7) with his little brother Caleb and their little friend Kyleah sitting off in the corner praying. They were thanking God for dragons! Seriously....how cute is that? I only heard the very end of the prayer. I wish I could have heard it all!

And......the Gluten Free, Dairy Free, How to Train Your Dragon cake turned out pretty cute too! I googled "How to Train Your Dragon images" and saved the ones I wanted into a file. Then I printed them onto photo paper and cut them out. I glued them to cocktail toothpicks and bamboo skewers for the flying dragons and placed them into the cake. Caleb was a very happy little boy and that makes this Nana a very happy girl :)

I just added this post to "Fabric Tuesday" over at Quiltstory! Click on the button above to check out their blog!




8 comments:

  1. Absolutely precious! I love the tails and I think your husband and mine would get along great - Chris would wear one too. In fact he'd do anything for his grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise....isn't it funny how having grandchildren changes everything? I love watching him with the boys. They adore him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Na Na Torres is the absolute bomb :-)! I have to agree; the dragon's tails were the big hit. Your creativity never ceases to amaze me :-)! And letting the children take their dragon's tail home with them will make Caleb's birthday party a truly happy childhood memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And once again I ask: will you be my nana? I want a star trek 1/2 birthday in august. pretty please with bacon on top!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, you are the best Nana ever! Those dragon tales are adorable! Can I adopt you to be my daughter's Nana?!!! By the way, I love the dragon prayer, that was too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is hilarious. My son would love one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are so funny and cute! What a great idea! Thanks for linking up to Quilt Story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad the kids loved the tails. I am thinking of doing them for a 6 year old party. Do you think that is too old?

    I had actually resolved to do something different, but after your post, I am thinking of it again.

    ReplyDelete