Saturday, August 20, 2011

Friday Night Sew In #4

Another FNSI done :) I'd love to say that I had lots of fun, but it would be more accurate to say that it's a good thing I was sewing alone. I had to fight the urge to hurt someone!
This pattern was a challenge from beginning to end (and NOT in a good way). It could very well be my lack of experience in the quilting realm, but when the math doesn't work (like when it says you need a charm pack of 42 pcs and to use 31 charms to make the prairie points and you actually need 36 and there are no more left so you have to go through your stash to find fabrics that will co-ordinate!) and when diagrams in the pattern are impossible to create (like when the picture shows a perfect square that you are supposed to come up with and you have 2 HST that measure 5" by 2 1/2" and the center triangle is a 4"), then I get a bit "spicy". If they wanted me to center the 4" triangle onto the 5" side of the HST and square it up afterwards....then show me that picture, not a perfect square!
I'm just glad that this was not my first experience with quilting.
I may have never tried again.
OK.....I'm done whining and complaining :)
In my own defense, I am very hormonal right now..........

The quilt pattern I used for Evie's quilt was so well written and VERY first time quilter friendly.
It even taught me how to use my square ruler!
 It was so much fun to sew!
I highly recommend SweetJane patterns. Check out her etsy shop and you'll fall in love too!
So here is the finished quilt top for my table runner just waiting to be sandwiched. I'm planning on hand quilting it in all red perle cotton. It came out cute, from a distance......just don't look too closely :)

15 comments:

  1. That is truly adorable! I really like prairie points when they're done, but they are a challenge when making them! Id love to have you come link this up at my link party going on right now!

    http://quiltedeuphoria.blogspot.com/2011/08/weekend-wow-me-party-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. For so much frustration, you did really well. Your table runner is sweet - but then I'm biased as I love tiny polka dots.
    Congrats for hanging in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! the colors are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That table runner is so bright and colourful, I'll bet that noone will even notice any little imperfections, especially once it's quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks complicated to sew. I think I would have given up so good for you for being able to figure it all out. can't wait to see it all quilted. I love the red with white polka dots and the cherry fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you had a hard time but in the end everything went right. The table runner looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a pretty table runner and I admire your perseverance. It's so tempting to just throw it in a corner and start something new when one problem follows another.
    Cheers,
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for coming to link up at the Weekend Wow Me party! Hope to see you next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok I may have to get that pattern now! love it. Great table runner Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great looking table runner, even if it did bring out the spicy in you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry about all the trouble you had but it did come out beautiful! I love the colors and I think red hand-quilting will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for being honest in your thoughts about the math and not having enough fabric!! I do the running out of fabric all the time,but I am a weird one and like the challenge!!

    The table runner came out of the fire despite the drama! he,he It is perfect!

    ReplyDelete